Thursday, April 12, 2012

Live Chickens



Today driving along the West Side Highway at a snails pace I looked down at a dead chicken laying in the road, and that's when it hit me maybe I do have something to blog about. Staring at that chicken brought back memories from a long time ago, when I was fresh out of graduate school and working as an in house temp for Liz Claiborne. At the time I worked in Textiles typing contracts 8 hours a day. I remember my office mate Liz who was Puerto Rican sharing the story of the SanterĂ­a with me. She told me how people in her neighborhood would go out in the middle of the night and stand in the crossroad holding a paper bag with live chickens inside, then throw it up in the air. Sitting all day typing those boring contracts I learned a lot about her and the world she came from.  Now years later stuck in traffic and staring down at a dead chicken I remembered her and the stories we shared. I love animals and certainly don't condone throwing live chickens on the highway, but who am I to judge as I put away the left over chicken I made for dinner tonight. Maybe the SanterĂ­a chicken laying there, died for a more noble cause than mine.


Tonight I prepared fried yucca for my family's dinner, a dish my Peruvian husband taught me to make. I think, yes it really is true, New York brings together people from all walks of life. It is a melting pot. I also think I'm not so different from my Lithuanian Catholic mother who learned to make chopped liver and noodle kugle for my Jewish father's family. 

I hope this will be a place where everyone can share their traditions and memories.



My favorite Peruvian cookbook



3 comments:

  1. Perhaps the chicken was just trying to get to the other side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And like any naive in the city,it was led astray...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your 1st blog post! It brought back memories of working in NYC -- esp. temping. Temping puts some unlikely people together and at times breeds intense intimacy.

    ReplyDelete